Thursday, February 3, 2011

Days 18-20

Busy week at work, on top of which our son fell sick with a very aggressive gastroenteritis on Tuesday night. Zero sleep for the three of us. Yesterday night we spent four hours in the clinic with Antonio plugged to a serum bag. He slept through the night and so did we. He should be getting better in the coming two days or so.

Despite these little dramas life throws at you without due notice, I'm stuck to training and diet like a leech. I had barely any energy yesterday morning but still decided to put my mind focused on the workout. We had no idea whether we were going to have to spend the night at the clinic, so at around 8pm I left the room for ten minutes and bought fresh leafs (lettuce, arugula, I don't know what else), whole wheat bread buns and, guess what, it's impossible to find cooked salt-free animal protein. I thought about canned tuna, but the first time I tried it during PCP it tasted too processed, so no. I tried maybe the deli again for turkey breast, but no, too salty. So I hope not to have made a mistake, but I preferred simply some sugar free yogurt.

Tonight Maria and I celebrate our fourth wedding anniversary, so I'll be cooking a very special PCP-compliant meal at home. I'd love to have a cold glass of white wine or a cold beer, but I also really want to stick to the rules. Specially now that I'm starting to feel stronger everyday and that muscle tone is increasingly and quite pleasantly visible.

What I think, hoping not to be simply rationalising, is that if I was strong enough to stick to training and diet in the toughest time so far since Antonio was borne, I can also be strong enough to stick to proper and yet moderate celebration when life calls for it, even if it means taking a small step back in my diet.

Your thoughts are all welcome.

Oh, two more things: flickr account set up (sorry Patrick for the delay), and take a look if you want and have the time to the video I posted the other day, not the Jamie Oliver one, but the one called "the brain in our gut". I love the re-formulation of Descartes' well known conclusion "cogito ergo sum" for "coquo ergo sum". That is, instead of "I think therefore I am", "I cook therefore I am". Really cool!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Juan

    Hope Antonio is getting over the worst of things, great job on sticking with the program during such a tough time- good work.
    Take care
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, juggling a family and the PCP can be a challenge. I hope Antonio will be right as rain very soon.

    ReplyDelete