Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 34: bonsai-shoulders' paranoia

I have one band with which I do all the band work. It seems to have just the right resistance for most of the exercises. The one arm biceps, for instance, are quite demanding but doable. Just the kind of combination that I enjoy the most. Rowing is easy, but by now we all know the explanation behind that. Shoulder exercises and the double katanas are, however, very difficult. I must confess I usually cannot finish all reps required and it's frustrating that muscle failure happens so quickly into the set. I was tempted a couple of weeks ago to buy a less resistant band to do these, but thought that perhaps with time I would improve my strength and therefore it would be a mistake to get in the habit of making things easier on myself. In other words, I thought this would be a cheat. But today I'm not so sure anymore. I don't know if I will get better results by doing less (but harder) reps than I should or rather do them all, however easier, to also have more control of each motion. Many of you are also talking about this with regards to other exercises such as pull ups and push ups. In my case, pull ups are one where I see a lot of progress and I'm confident that very soon I'll be able to do the required quota. But the front shoulder rise, the da vincis (not always), and the double katanas remain a source of frustration. I was even stressed this morning thinking that at this rate I will develop a deformed body, with strong legs, back and chest, all hanging from weak tiny shoulders. Think of your body as a strong tree but with bonsai-sized branches. Monstrous!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are taking a very thoughtful approach to the exercises Juan and you are doing great. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete