Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 6: backwards induction

Here's a game I learnt back in college from a professor of economics. It's called 'race to 20' and should be played between two contenders. The idea is to take turns counting the digits from 1 to 20. The one who gets to 20 first, wins the game. There is one simple rule: when it is your turn to count, you can advance one or two digits. So for example, if I say "one"' you can say "two" or "two, three". If you apply a very simple formula, you will realise that if you want to win the game, the winning digits are 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20. In other words, by reasoning backwards, you can win the game well before it ends by making sure you call the right digits as early in the game as possible. This came to my mind when thinking about PCP as a 'race to 90'. Not sure if this thought is useful or if I'm just boring you. But it helps me to visualise 'victory', as well as to understand the meaning of every day's training.

Today rope jumping felt more like a mantra than just plain excersise.
Today there was no salt or oil added to my meals and food tasted different but delicious.
Today Maria said she would jump with me every morning and do some leg ups.
And today I felt the mind (which I think is just a brain function) taking over!

No comments:

Post a Comment